If you’re a big fan of spray tanning, getting the most value for your money is probably one of your biggest concerns. Professional spray tan solutions aren’t cheap, and maintaining your colour with frequent trips to the salon can add up to a small fortune in extra monthly expenses.
While the average lifespan of a spray tan is about a week, exactly how long your glow lasts has a lot to do with your skin-care routine before and after you tan. Below are some of our favourite tips for saving money by making every tanning session count.
1. Exfoliate the day before using spray tan solutions. If you aren’t polishing your skin to perfection before tanning, you’re losing a little bit of the tan you paid for before it even develops. Colour-blocking dead skin cells and debris are the main culprits behind weak spray tans, streaks and fast fading.
2. Avoid waxing and shaving after tanning. Any harsh treatments that affect the top layers of the skin can instantly strip your colour.
3. Don’t use any beauty products before spray tanning. Common ingredients in makeup formulas, deodorants and perfumes can block spray tan solutions or change their chemical composition. For natural-looking colour that lasts, come in with naked skin.
4. Keep skin hydrated with daily moisturisers. Since tanning solutions create colour in the upper layers of the skin, forming a protective moisture barrier with body lotions can help prevent discolourations and fading. On the day of your spray tan, only moisturise the driest areas of your body to avoid weakening your colour.
5. Wear dark, loose-fitting clothes to your appointment. Your spray tan is going to be fresh for about eight hours after the application, so you want to avoid accidentally rubbing it off on tight fabric or staining one of your outfits.
6. Don’t shower or exercise until your colour develops. Any type of excessive moisture can wash away your spray tan or ruin it with water marks.
7. Invest in a high-end gradual tan extender. Gradual tanning solutions combine moisturisers with mild tanning agents. Formulated with a small percentage of the tanning chemical DHA, they can be used to layer colour over time or refresh fading spray tans. Since a gradual tanner deposits colour back into the skin, using it every other day in place of your daily lotion can double the lifespan of your next spray tan.
8. Shower with hydrating oils. Body washes and gels can speed up the fading process by drying out your skin. After using tanning solutions, switch to an oil-based shower cleanser with all-natural ingredients to keep your skin healthy and protect your tan from fading too quickly.