Whether you own a sunless tanning salon or a mobile spray tan service, advertising is the key to taking your business to new heights. From tried-and-trusted customer service tips to innovative online tricks, below are some of our favourite marketing ideas for ambitious business owners with small budgets and big dreams.
- Stock up on business cards. Carry them with you everywhere you go, give them to your friends and hand them out to new customers. You never know when one of them might end up in the hands of a potential client. If you have a mobile spray tan business, don’t forget to put a stack of business cards into your portable marketing kit.
- Set up a referral system with non-competitive beauty businesses. Spas, hair salons and upscale beauty stores are all examples of businesses that make great cross-marketing partners because they have the same target audience. Since your reputation is on the line, only work with businesses that you believe in and support.
- Create a loyalty program. Having a generous rewards program will help you keep repeat customers happy and encourage new clients to come back in the future. In the sunless tanning industry, loyalty cards that can be redeemed for free sessions after paying for a specific number of spray tans are a big hit. You can orders yours from the same place where you get your business cards or on the Internet.
- Hold online contests. When it comes to social media, your clients are your biggest marketing tool. Just one shared link can spread from one user to another in minutes. To get your customers interested in sharing their experience, offer giveaways and free tans in exchange for shared links, pictures and tweets.
- Provide exceptional customer service. Even if you’re having a bad day, always help your customers with a smile. Professional spray tanning is a service-oriented business, and how you treat your clients can make or break your chances to grow big. In addition to being positive and friendly, make up for mistakes quickly with discounts and coupons for free tans.
- Advertise specialty services. While you should never lose focus on general advertising, don’t pass over opportunities to target niche groups that can bring in extra revenue. For example, put together a bridal package if you’re located near a popular wedding destination or promote your mobile spray tan business as a hot trend at spa parties.
- Attract new business with incentives. Seasonal promotions, special coupons, product trials and free consultations are a few ways that can help you attract new clients and keep them coming back without breaking the budget. For better word-of-mouth advertising, give free tans to clients who bring in new paying customers.
Norvell provides professional marketing materials for tanning salons and mobile spray tanning businesses.