You’re only young once, so why waste your summers hiding your body under unnecessary layers? Whether you have a curvy figure or a petite frame, there are plenty of swimwear options available for every body type. The trick to looking and feeling great at the beach is finding a design that hides your flaws while at the same time accentuating your best features.
With a flattering swimming costume and a perfect fake tan, you’ll be ready for this year’s summer season in no time.
Shopping for Swimwear
- Take measurements. Many women who prefer two-piece suits need to buy tops and bottoms in two different sizes. To get the perfect fit, you need to know the exact measurements for your bust and thighs.
- Know what works for your body shape. Tankinis are perfect for women who are self-conscious about their stomachs. Ruffles, bows and other decorative accents can add volume to slim frames. If you are pear-shaped, try pairing a ruffled top with a plain string bikini bottom to even out your figure. For bust support, go with a halter or an underwired bandeau top. If you prefer complete coverage but still want to feel sexy, look for a one-piece suit with a deep v-shaped cut.
- Experiment with colour. One of the biggest mistakes women make when shopping for swimwear is assuming that black is always more slimming than brighter colours and patterns. In reality, bright colours are excellent at drawing the eye toward your best features, while patterns can help mask imperfections.
- Keep a trendy cover-up tunic or a romantic beach dress on hand for those days when you need a little extra coverage.
- Feel confident with a fake tan. Tanning adds highlights and shadows that hide flaws and create the illusion of a slimmer body. The best fake tan can be just what you need to feel confident in your new swimwear pieces.
How to Get the Best Fake Tan for the Beach
With a head-to-toe spray tan, you can create perfect beach-ready skin in just one day. To make sure the tanning mist goes on smoothly, exfoliate and shave the day before your session. For the best fake tan that looks natural in summer, go two shades darker than your natural skin tone. If you are worried about going too dark, you can get a lighter base colour and use tan enhancers at home to slowly build up your ideal fake tan.
Because sunless tanners usually do not contain any SPF, remember to throw a tube of sunblock into your beach bag before you head out. If you plan to spend the entire day in direct sunlight, get extra skin protection with wide-brimmed hats and beach umbrellas.